Sunday, January 19, 2014

Lots of Reading this weekend

 
Flu germs are still floating around my house, I am finally feeling better, however; DH now has the flu and bronchitis.  I had huge plans for this weekend, since we are out of school on Monday, looks like most of my plans will stay just that--- plans.  I have done a lot of reading this last week and weekend.  I just finished Jennifer Chiverini's new book, Mrs. Lincoln's Rival.  I really enjoy her quilting series and enjoyed Mrs. Lincoln's Dressmaker.  This one not so much.  I never could really get into it.  I wanted to get to know the characters and why they were such rivals.  Mrs. Chiverini definitely does her research, and does a great job of transporting you to the Civil War era, maybe too much so.  I wanted to know more  Kate Sprague, but by the time I finished the book, I didn't really know anything more than at the beginning of the book.  It was also never made clear why she and Mrs. Lincoln were such great rivals.  I have to admit that by the end of the book I was skimming some of the pages just to finish. 
 
Before starting Mrs. Lincoln's Rival I read Sycamore row by John Grisham.  I have read all of his books and have liked some better than others.  This was one of the better ones.  It was more like his first novels, a true page turner.  Couldn't put this one down.  Would definitely recommend this one over Mrs. Lincoln's Rival.  Happy reading!!

No comments: