Thursday, April 15, 2010

Sewing Machines



When my mom comes to visit she always tells me that my basement is messy and wants to know why we have so much stuff there. I have to carefully explain that we don't have three storage buildings and have to put our stuff somewhere. While at her house last week she wanted me to help her clean out just one of her storage buildings. While doing so I happened to notice a red box with a handle. I just stood there for a few minutes and looked at it, I had no idea that it was still around. It was my very first





sewing machine!! All of these years I had thought that my mom had either sold it or given it away. I got it for Christmas one year, neither of us can remember exactly when, I think I was about 6. I can remember being so excited that I had my very own sewing machine, and could sew just like my mom. When I opened the case it looked exactly as I remembered. The only thing that is missing is the instruction manual, and I remember there was a little red needle threader, it is also missing. I made sure that I brought it home with me and it will have a place of honor in my sewing room. This brings the total number of machines in my sewing room up to 5. I have a Featherweight that I take to classes, a New Home that my mom and dad gave me when I graduated from high school, a Janome, and a serger.

1 comment:

Becky said...

What a find! My first machine was my grandmother's treadle machine. My cousin has it in Houston. Don't you feel sorry for those who don't "just love" sewing machines:)