Wednesday, December 14, 2011

Great Christmas Reads

 As most of you have figured out by now, I love Christmas, anything to do with the holiday, but especially Christmas books.  I have several favorites.  One of my favorite adult holiday books is by Truman Capote, A Christmas Memory.   It tells the story of when Capote was a child living with relatives and the Christmas tradition they had of making fruitcakes for "special" people.  This is a wonderful heartwarming book, not very long at all. 



Another of my favorites is Clay's Quilt Silas House.  I didn't think I could do justice to the summary so I borrowed from Amazon. 
After his mother is killed, four-year-old Clay   Sizemore finds himself alone in a small Appalachian mining town. At first, unsure of Free Creek, he slowly learns to lean on its residents as family. There’s Aunt Easter, who is always filled with a sense of foreboding, bound to her faith above all; quiltmaking Uncle Paul; untamable Evangeline; and Alma, the fiddler whose song wends it way into Clay’s heart. Together, they help Clay fashion a quilt of a life from what treasured pieces surround him. . .

One of my favorite books to read to little ones is Auntie Claus.  Each year Sophie tries to figure out why her Aunt disappears to in October and doesn't return until March.  It must have something to do with her favorie saying, "No matter what the holiday, remember it is better to give than receive."  Will Sophie solve the mystery before Christmas?


I don't do this one justice when reading  but I try really hard, a Cajun version of the classic Night Before Christmas.

You can't go wrong with Olivia helping out in the kitchen for the holidays.

The Polar Express, no need for words.

Olive, the Other Reindeer.  What dog hasn't wanted to be a reindeer.

No comments: