Monday, December 19, 2011

Christmas Vacation

I am so excited that we are out of school for Christmas vacation. I guess I should be politically correct and call it Winter Break, but to me it is Christmas vacation and that is what I am going to call it. Vacation got off to a great start on Friday night with Thimbles.  Unfortunately I was too exhausted from such a busy week at work to stay too late, I did get to see some great quilts.  Sarah is working on her version of Kitty's Baskets from Pat's book.  Her version looks dramatically different from Pat's neutral one. 

Teresa was getting in the spirit with her miniature Christmas hat.

Carmen's version of Scrappy Nines, another quilt from Pat's book.  She is doing her version in grape and neutrals.  I really like it.


Lynn a new member to our group totally wowed us with her log cabin quilt.  It is a gift for her mom.  It was absolutely beautiful.  She did a really different setting and it looked like stars.  If the front of the quilt wasn't enough, when we saw the letters on the back, several of us had tears in our eyes.  She and her brothers and sisters had written letters to their mother, and Lyn had embroidered them for the back. 
 One reason I didn't stay too late at Thimbles was I had a busy weekend  ahead of me.  We were doing Christmas with DH's family on Sunday and I had to do some major house cleaning on Saturday, plus start preparing the food. The menu was lamb, roasted green beans with potatoes, cranberry apple casserole, bread, fruit salad, and an assortment of cookies and candies for dessert.   Lamb is a big tradition in his family and not something that I am very comfortable cooking.  I wanted to get it in the marinade on Saturday, plus get as much of the food prepared as I could.  All in all I think everything turned out ok.  The lamb appeared to be a big hit, I didn't eat any of it, that is one meat that I just can't bring myself to eat.  After a late lunch it was present time.  Way to many presents but it was very nice.  DH racked up on the goodies.  I got several books that I had asked for plus to gift certificates to the quilt shop up in blue Ridge.  Can't wait to spend them!!



Joe's mom and niece opening presents.

No comments: