Monday, September 12, 2011

That is a housewife?

 Yesterday, I was showing DH, my newest purcahse, an antique housewife.  He thought it was something that you put bullets in.  I guess you could use it for that but I explained that this one was for sewing and it was given to soldiers in the Civil War in order for them to do their own mending.  Until recently I had no idea that the soldiers did their own mending, I don't know who I thought did it for them, and probably in lots of cases it didn't get done.  Most soldiers probably had more important things on their mind.  After buying this housewife, I decided that I wanted to make my own. I have a cute Mary Englebret one, but homemade is always nicer.  I found this pattern in Confederates in the Cornfield, probably could have made my own, but since I had the book  with the pattern I decided to go with it. 
This is my version of the housewife, not as big as the one I purchased.

Old and new side by side. 

3 comments:

Sandie @ crazy'boutquilts said...

I didn't realize the 'real' ones were so large. :-) Yours looks great! Thanks for sharing about them. Have a happy day!

Becky said...

I've never heard of this type of housewife. Really interesting. I love the one that you made. I think I'd make Joe one for his bullets:)

Anne-Mettes Oaser said...

Your housewife is beautiful ... I soon want to make one myself. They also makes great gifts, I think.