Monday, May 14, 2018

Fabric Painting Class

On Saturday I was lucky enough to go to a fabric painting class at Intown Quilters in Atlanta.  I have dyed different types of fabric, cotton, wool, and velvet  but have never done anything with fabric paint.  After the first technique I was hooked.  The first technique was color wash adding texture with leaves, and salt.  I loved using ginko leaves on this.  I also found that salt is better used sparingly.
Next we did a shibori style fabric.  I only had time try one of these, can't wait to do some more fabrics using this technique. I liked the shimmer that the metallic paint gave to this.


We also did fabrics using stencils, and stamps. This piece was made with a stencil with different sizes of circles, then I went over it with a color wash.  I should have waited a little longer before doing the color wash some of the paint from the stencils hadn't completely dried so it smeared some.   I have some great ideas of things I want to try. 

Due to the size of the class and the number of  people we were only able to use small 10 x 15 pieces of fabric.  I want to try some larger pieces. I would love to try some of these ideas on canvas to make some tote bags. 

No comments: