Tuesday, June 10, 2014

Book or ereader

I always take a book on vacation especially if I am flying, face it what else is there to  do while you are on a plane, other than sleep.  Last week I took my Kindle, I had downloaded three new books so I knew that I would have plenty to read.  I boarded the plane, settled into my seat, and started reading.  About 15 minutes after the plane took off, I saw the message that my device was shutting down and it needed to be connected to the charger.  Charger?  I totally forgot to bring my charger.  I had the one for my camera, and my phone, but never once thought about the one for the kindle.  Since I couldn't read on the plane I decided to take a nap.  I knew that I would have to get a book somewhere or something to read.  The first place DH and I went was the visitor center at Colonial Williamsburg to get our tickets for the next day.  Luckily there was a huge bookstore inside the visitor's center, I found several books I wanted, but knew that I only needed one to see me through the next few evenings.  I purchased the Kitchen House, I had wanted to read this but had never managed to find it at the library.  I finished it last night, what a great book.  It is the story of Belle and Lavina.  Belle is the daughter of a slave and her master, Lavina is an Irish orphan that was given to Belle by her father.  Lavinia grows up living with Belle, her parents and brothers and sisters. Lavinia reaches the age where she is sent to Williamsburg to live with relatives of the master.  While there she is educated with Meg, the daughter of the family she is living with.  What follows is a lovely tragic story,  it is the plantation version of The Help.  I would highly recommend this book, even if you don't like historical fiction it is a great book

No comments: