Wednesday, January 9, 2013

First great read of 2013


The Light Between OceansI had been wanting to read this book and it was on my Christmas list, my brother gave it to me for Christmas.  I waited until the New Year to start it and it is great!!  It is the story of Tom and Isabel, light house keepers in Australia in the late 1920's.  Tom is a survivor of WWI, who finds solace in the isolation of his job.  When he meets and marries Isabel feels extremely lucky to have both  the perfect job and wife. Problems arise when Isabel has a miscarriage, followed fairly quickly by a second miscarriage then the stillbirth of a child.  Just days following the stillbirth a boat washes up on shore with the body of a man, and a living child.  Isabel talks Tom into keeping the child.  This changes not only Tom and Isabel's lives but the lives of numerous other people.  Won't give away anyone, but will say that I cried at the end.  Great Read.

2 comments:

Carol said...

Thanks for the book recommendation-- I will check the library.

Pat / Silver Thimble Quilt Co. said...

Putting that on my list! Thanks