Tuesday, August 2, 2011

Back to Work

I can't believe that it is already time to go back to work.  It seems like every year the summer goes by more quickly.  DH and I were able to get away for part of last week to North Carolina.  We had a great time, just getting away from everything.  One thing, however, that we didn't get away from was the heat, it was very hot there.  We spent the first night away in Waynesville, NC.  It is a very neat little town.  The photo to the left is of the museum  there.  I loved the quilt on the wall, there are quilts like this all through North Carolina. We spent one night in Waynesville, then headed to Boone, NC.  We did some hiking there.  We had to check out the newest state park, Elk Knob, there are some great hiking trails there. 


We stopped at Linville Caverns on the way to Boone.  It was very interesting and very cold, which felt great.

View from the Blue Ridge Parkway, it is so beautiful.

 This is the Moses Cone house off of the parkway around Blowing Rock.  It was beautiful.  The house was built in the late 1800's by Moses Cone, the denim baron.  It is incredible to me the wealth that some of the people of that time had.  To imagine that this house was built as a summer home in what at that time was the wilds of North Carolina just astounds me.

From Boone we headed to Asheville, for Belle Chere the arts and music festival.  It was a lot of fun, too bad I had to come back and head off to work on Monday morning.  I guess DH and I were not ready to head back to the real world we both forgot to set the alarm clock, and I just barely made it to  work on time.  I am exhausted now, and there probably won't be any sewing in my future this week.

1 comment:

BlueRidge Boomer said...

Hey.....you were in my neck of the high country.....a few more miles NE and you would have been in West Jefferson and could have spent time in New River State Park( with me!) or Mt. Jefferson State Natural Area.....Elk Knob is beautiful...can't wait for it to be finished.....

Enjoy